A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 21 October 2016

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" - Socrates

Today we kicked off the day with an intriguing chat based around future focus learning. We focused on what direction technology was going and the effect this would have within our class. We complied a list of new technologies that would have an educational impact, and I was amazed at how close the future seemed.



Virtual reality, Google glasses, smart homes, fridges that order food, biometrics, geocaching, it all seems like classic Futurama, but in reality it so close. One of my favourite recent discoveries is augmented reality (AR). Apps such as Animal 4D, Anatomy 4D, Blippar and Elements 4D take an ordinary piece of paper and brings it to life so you can explore and manipulate different aspects.


The potential for use in the classroom is extraordinary, it makes everything easily accessible. For example if you don't have access to any fluorine or  or sodium, this app allows you to explore both of these elements, what they look like, each elements composition, as well as being able to witness the reaction between them.




One other aspect that we explored deeper is the world of coding. Coding and being able to program is becoming a fundamental skill for our next generation. We gave 'hour of code' a go and played around with the different levels of coding. It's not all HTML and complicated screeds of a foreign language it can be as simple as dragging 'blocks' that have the required code for different commands. I don't have a whole lot of coding experience but within 30 minutes I was able to make my own Star Wars game! This is something I am very keen to start in my classroom next year, if it is going to be so fundamental to society I want my learners to be prepared and capable of understanding this change. I can't wait to see how my students could explore this tool and where their imagination take them. 







2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of augmented realities - I am so keen to see if there are any suitable for my learners. We recently had a virtual tour in government and the students were so intrigued by it! Keen to see how the coding goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you reflected "the future is so close". For you and your peers teaching will be so exciting and I love the way you embrace change and the possibilities inherent. My father managed in his lifetime to begin in a world of no cars, see men fly to the moon, fly in Conchord himself, and see an autonomous car. But I suspect you may experience that degree of change inside decades rather than a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete