A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 28 October 2016

"The more we share, the more we have" - Leonard Nimoy

Google Class OnAir has always been a uncomfortable idea for me, no matter how confident you are as a teacher it must still be intimidating to put your practice fullscreen for the whole world to see. I have always misinterpreted the focus of class OnAir as a way to critique a teachers style and pedagogy, which is mildly scary, especially as a first year teacher.

However after todays MDTA session, I realised the focus is the incorporation of technology in the OnAir episodes as opposed to the actual teacher. I often forget how lucky we are in our cluster that technology is so embedded in what we do that it is often easy to forget that there are other schools that are just starting to incorporate technology into their daily teaching. I now realise the purpose of Class OnAir is to give teachers around New Zealand, and overseas, ideas of how technology can be used to further students thinking. Instead of using technology as a substitution for a text book actually enhancing how we view technology and how it can be used to redefine education and the way we teach our learners.




Although the video is a major aspect of the Class OnAir, it's not the only component, the purpose is to show the whole learning process. Therefore the episodes include detailed teacher notes, planning, reflection and students learning.

https://sites.google.com/a/ptengland.school.nz/goodwinonair/home/term3-lesson2https://sites.google.com/a/ptengland.school.nz/goodwinonair/home/term3-lesson2


Now that I correctly understand the purpose for the Class OnAir, not only do I have much more admiration for the people who are creating the episodes but I can also see the benefits of being a part of a project like this. Therefore over the next couple of weeks I will be starting to plan an episode of my own and ideally by week six I should be able to film and edit. I think this will be a interesting experiment, it requires a lot of self reflection on my teaching and they way I am using technology with my learners. Stay tuned to see how this develops...


No comments:

Post a Comment