A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 21 October 2016

"If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life thinking it is stupid" - Albert Einstein

Today we had the privilege of connecting with the majority of beginning teachers within our cluster. One focus of the day was to  reflect on the year that has been and to share the Manaiakalani vision for the term to come. 


The focus on visible learning brings with it many challenges, but the main one main focus is the incorporation of multi-modal learning.  After doing a quick survey of our group we reinforced what we already knew.. people like learning in many different ways. 



Often as teachers we revert back to the way we enjoy learning or what think is 'the best' way to learn. There was always the classic read the text then show what you have learnt, however the concept of text has adapted due to the advances in technology. Text can now include videos, audio, dance, music, oral, movies, written and images. If we have all these options available why would we simply rely upon one way of teaching? 



Google sites is a good platform to experiment with multi-modal learning, you can embed video, audio, songs, articles, stories, audio books and images that students can select and use a range of texts to develop their learning. I have been using google sites throughout this year with my class, however one aspect that challenged me was the student selected texts. Making sure I am giving students control over their learning not just prescribing a workload. Instead collaborate with students to discuss what types of text they want included and resources they find beneficial. This will give students some control over their learning and make sure they are not being disadvantaged by what I define as 'the best form of text'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment