A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Thursday, 6 October 2016

"Ehara taku toa i te toa takitahiengari he toa takimano // my strength is not that of the individual but that of the collective" - Maori proverb

uLearn Breakout One: Kiwi - Iwi




This breakout was a thought provoking start to my uLearn journey, it made me question the way I view hapū, iwi and Marae contribution in our school and classroom. What do I believe their role is? Am I ensuring that there is a connection between school and marae? What should this connection look like? What is the expectation of whānau, tamariki and iwi?

So many questions. However overall I realise this is not something that I have been consciously trying to develop this year and therefore have not created these relationships.  This is something I am very keen to change and the first thing I need to identify is who I am trying to engage with and what I am trying to connect them into.


This cultural landscape tool is the perfect scaffold for starting my journey to connecting with Iwi in our community, I need to discover who I am trying to connect to, about their whenua, reo, waiata, tupuna. There are many things that specific to each individual Iwi and I need to discover these different aspects to be able to cater to them specifically.  The only  way to discover this is to go to the people, ask them what do they want for their tamariki? Engage with their leadership team, who are the people that need to be involved?

Once I start to answer some of these initial questions then I can start to think about how togther we will connect the curriculum to the Iwi. Connecting to marae run programs, connecting to specific Iwi traditions, waiata, dance, haka, legends which can all link back to the curriculum. Being able to make student learning relatable to their lives gives their learning purpose which I believe will maximise students engagement. 




No comments:

Post a Comment