A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 1 July 2016

"The more we share, the more we have." - Leonard Nimoy.

Today was a day dedicated to adventuring through other schools in our cluster. An opportunity to observe the learning in a different environments and how they motivate and engage their learners. I spent my time at Point England school in a year one and in a year four/three classroom. Being friday there was a diverse range of activities going on, however there was still plenty of learning to observe. 

One of the most useful things I observed today was in the year one class the teacher had used sound bytes on Explain Everything activities, a short voice over at the top of each page that quickly explained the task. This supported her learners that were not competent readers to still understand the task and what they are required to do. This is something I will look into implementing into my own practice, it can allow my less able readers to be able to rely less on constant teacher support and be able to become independent learners. 

The experiences available to us within our cluster to be able to share ideas, discuss our pedagogy and expand our perspective of learning is invaluable. The conversation we are able to have around practice with such a range of teachers, no matter their years of experience, decile or age of their  class leads us to learn so many new techniques, discuss challenges and collectively work to solve underachievement. 


1 comment:

  1. You have identified one of the cornerstones of teaching Juliana, being able to look at yourself and constantly confront your beliefs and adapt what you do, to enrich the learning opportunities for your learners. Within your class this element is obvious and the learners are benefitting from your learning journey you have travelled this year.

    ReplyDelete