A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Saturday, 30 July 2016

"In the social age, knowledge is only powerful if you share what you know" - Charlie-Helen Robinson

The idea of recording my thoughts has always been a difficult one, my personal attention span has been a  factor, trying to listen to someone talk and taking notes that manage to stay on topic is quite a struggle. Usually during a lecture or tutorial I have to rely on my memory to retain the information I have been taught, due to the occasional lapse in concentration, This generally ends up with a bunch of empty note books with random words or drawings scattered throughout. 

However today we started looking into the art of Sketchnoting. Taking the main concepts from a lecture, talk or discussion, pulling out key words and sketching diagrams, pictures and arrows to show how the ideas all work together to form the concept on one simple page. This allows you to quickly glance at the page and make connections without needing to scroll back through a hundred pages of traditional notes. 


The sketchnote I tried out today was looking at the concept of SHARE. You can interpret the picture in your own way but the main idea I was trying to portray was the concept of a genuine audience. Learners in your classroom have to be at school, when you tell them to engage and listen to another learners work or project it's not their choice, it is mandatory do to so which creates an unauthentic audience. However with technology as te kūaha (the doorway) you can create an environment where people from all over the word are searching for students learning online and engaging in discussions by their own choice. I believe this creates a authentic, genuine, engaged audience which learners will thrive off sharing with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment