A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 10 June 2016

"If we teach today as we did yesterday then we rob our children of tomorrow." - John Dewey


Todays digital immersion session has been based around creating a screencast that directs a user how to navigate our class sites. While I was creating this screencast I had to decide my target audience, because how I would teach my students how to use this site is vastly different from how I would teach whānau or a colleague about navigating. With this in mind I decided to focus on a brief description for parents and colleagues on how students use our website during our reading sessions. The screencast shows the process of learning by listening online and discussing the book as a group, creative tasks on Explain Everything that showcase what the students have learnt, as well as a brief description of how students then share their work back to the teacher for feedback then up on the blog for the world to view. 

Upon reflection, making a screencast like this to explain to the students how to use their site most effectively could be an idea. They know the basics on how to get their work but they don't yet use the site independently or to take control of their learning. If I made a video for the learners on how to use the site to guide their learning most effectively maybe this would create more independence and they could be utilising the site to its full potential. 


1 comment:

  1. I like how you identified your audience first Juliana. You are right, different purposes and audiences would call for a different take when creating recordings. Using screencasts as an instructional resource for our learners is a perfect example of the digital affordances of our environment!

    ReplyDelete