A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 6 May 2016

"The earth without art is just eh" - Matt McWilliams




Back to uni today! Today we were sent out into our community to take images that would support the teaching of a selected topic. I decided to focus on the connection between community and art thinking that I would take pictures of Te Oro and the facilities. However once we headed into the heart of Glenn Innes I was more captivated by the phenomenal street art around every corner, the back alleys and random fields. For my class we could focus on the messages behind the art; what makes the difference between street art and tagging, focus on positive colours, images, and words and the purpose of the art. I will use this connection between art and their community for the learners to have a moment to be proud of their community. 



4 comments:

  1. Hi Juliana, great to see you capturing some of the fab street art in our neighbourhood. We certainly do need to profile the people who are creating art rather than focusing on the destructicons all the time..
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Dorothy! Finding positives to focus on is always key!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome Juliana! I'm envious of the cool things you all got up to on Friday, looks like you had fun. I think this is a just avenue for critical thinking too, because society is generally so sceptical of street art, it is important to consider why it is there. Maybe you could compare to artwork that is in a gallery and the similarities/differences? Look forward to hearing how you did this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quote Juliana! This is a fantastic example of our community and the creative avenues that people explore! Agree with Georgia wholeheartedly - would be an awesome way to look into critical thinking.

    ReplyDelete