A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Sunday, 29 May 2016

"Patience is a virtue" - William Langland



Fridays session of digital immersion was test of patience, that's for sure. We learnt how to create a short animation video which sounds awesome but it is a lot more time consuming than I ever imagined. 298 photos, all with only the slightest of movements between each still image, slowly creating a minute long video, fair to say I don't ever think I could be so irritated by a jelly baby refusing to stay still. However aside from feeling highly accomplished by the end of four hours creating my movie I actually learnt a couple of lessons along the way. 

Firstly whether I should ever attempt this type of creation with a year 2&3 class... I believe it could be done, as Anne was saying, kids generally find the easiest way to do things, therefore why not try it out, what's the worst that could happen..

Secondly that in general time, effort and patience does reap rewards. Not simply in relation to creating this animation which was time consuming, at times frustrating and felt like you weren't making any progress, but also in relation to my class. My mentor, Sally, was texting me our learners latest writing tests as I was creating my video. The difference between a class of majority pre 1b level writers at the beggining of the year and the 1p and (even some above) writing she was sending me through a term later, was so exciting! 

Sometimes, like creating an animation, the moves are so small that you hardly notice them, but if you play it altogether then you notice the progression and the overall story that is being told. 

3 comments:

  1. Very cute, and also very clever. One small piece of feedback would possibly be to fastforward the handout of the lollies by the orange dude :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the way you have aligned these two important happenings in the day. You are so right about the incremental progress changes and the elation experienced. I feel for our RTLB colleagues and those at Sommerville who are rewarded by micro changes- if things go really well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that I could immediately recognise this was your blog post. The "Dude!" from the gummy bear is very unapologetically Juliana :) Your concluding point is extremely relevant and gets me thinking about any shift being significant; even more important to remember during this time of making National Standards calls. Thanks for the entertaining watch!

    ReplyDelete