A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Monday, 16 May 2016

Ma tini ma mano ka rapa te whai (many hands make light work, unity is strength) - unknown.




The first assignment is done! Considering the already hectic life of school, university and digital immersion course, the task of conducting a case study, analysing data, creating a digital tool to accelerate learning and justifying the newly developed tool has create slightly more stress and a lot less sleep in the past couple of weeks. 

However, ideally the lack of sleep has not been in vain, what I have ended up creating is a digital tool to encourage whānau to read with their kids at home. Each time a book is sent home that we have read in guided reading, there will be a short video, like the one above, available online through our class website. The video describes what we are learning about in that book, which of their learning goals this relates to, and examples of questions that parents could ask during the text that helps work towards these goals. It also includes a variety of questions for after reading that can act as prompts for deeper level thinking. 

This will give the parents a purpose for reading at home with their child which will hopefully help to acclerate these three learners reading progress. Another coincidental side effect of this tool is strengthening our home-school partnership through aligning school work with learning at home and encouraging communication between home and school. 

The next section of the assignment is an analysis into the validity of the tool and whether the predicted achievement outcomes have been achieve through implementing this tool.... stay tuned...


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really useful approach. I will let Karen and Jacqui (both in the MIT16 programme) know you are doing this as it is along the same lines as their inquiries this year.

    ReplyDelete