A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 8 April 2016

"Sharing student learning transforms meh to meaningful" - Unknown


During this first term my main focus has been so heavily set on ensuring that students are completing their work, which to me seems like basic foundations and a build up to "deeper learning". Maybe this mind set has meant that I haven't felt it a priority to make sure that I am regularly updating our blog. 


Student work such as handwriting and follow up reading activities hasn't been uploaded because I haven't deemed it exciting enough for an audience, it's simply too basic. 


What I realised today is that is probably the most restricting thing I could do as a teacher.  I need to give students opportunities for all their work to go on the blog, this will not only excite them but also give them a purpose for their work. 

This will support students that are inclined to rush their work, if they have an audience other than their normal teachers this could encourage them to slow down, take their time and take pride in their work.

The blog is not to show off their final 'good copy' of work but show the development and process of learning.

Basically from now our class blog is going to get a lot more busy! Keep up with the action here!

4 comments:

  1. I love the quote in your title! I agree wholeheartedly. I am pleased to read about the evolution of your thinking about sharing learning. Tamaki Primary was one of the original schools to model the powerful use of class blogs to bring an authentic audience into the learners lives. Your principal was one of Manaiakalani's first lead teachers and modelled the effective use of blogging in a New Entrant class. It is good to hear that this is being continued into 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy! We are aiming to maintain the legacy and ensure that our students are engaged in purposeful learning. I'll keep you up to date on our progress!

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate to this Juliana! I also need to give my students more opportunities to blog. It's so easy to want to wait until a piece of work is 'perfect' but it is a great way to document their learning and growth. I also love the pieces of work that you have shared here, the pictures are really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Danni! I'm glad I'm not the only one! We'll have to work on this together :)

      Delete