A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 15 April 2016

"Childhood is a small window of time to learn and develop at a pace which is right for each individual child" - Magda Gerber


This first term of my teaching career has been crazy, I've been pushing myself in so many directions, constantly reflecting, refining and trying to improve my teaching ability. One of my main focuses for next term is to cater to the students with higher ability in our class, sometimes they can be overlooked because they are no longer urgent to get above standard. However I believe we should still be continuing to accelerate these higher achievers instead of ticking the box that they are at standard and moving on. One of the tools we will be utilising to reinforce this continuing acceleration will be the fast finishers section of our class website that we have created. This will provide opportunity for learners who have finished their initial work before the rest of the class to maintain the work mind space. It will include activities on the iPad and with other materials that focuses on basic facts, spelling, blends and problem solving. The other aspect is a passion project which is a research topic of their choice that they will work on, with support initially but progress to working independently over time. We are aiming to develop their reading to learn ability and being able to gather ideas and information from text and video. Today I have spent creating the site to support this learning, it;s still under development but you can check it by clicking the picture above! Feel free to leave any feedback, I'm more than open to it being a continuous development. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds exciting Juliana. You have been pushing the boundaries with Sally and working hard this term. I look forward to hearing how this works out in Term 2. Reading to learn is a meaty goal for your class and wonderful to see you going there. Take a break these holidays and enjoy the challenges of term 2.

    ReplyDelete