A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Monday, 21 March 2016

"Nobody rises to low expectations" - Calvin Loyd

During this mornings literacy time we wrote a story about how we had made pancakes earlier. I worked with our target students so I could scaffold them through writing a sentence that makes sense and making sure we could identify all the words we were writing. I was being observed during this guided writing lesson, when I received feedback the main thing I realised was that I needed to make sure I was extending and accelerating our target group. If our expectation is for them to develop slowly then that is how they will continue to develop, however if we expect and give them opportunities to expand their mind then they will rise to meet these expectations. Therefore I need to ensure that during my lesson planning that I am not planning for the level the students are at, but instead continually moving them through to the next level, pushing their minds and challenging all students daily. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this reflection Juliana, and the quote is so relevant and topical. I have found that many of my students are truant or 'misbehave' because they are bored, often because the learning is too easy for the students, so we need to have high expectations of them to encourage them to have high expectations of themselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Georgia! Keeping our student continuously aiming higher everyday is a aim of mine for this term and making sure my students know what I expect from them. Cheers!

      Delete