A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 4 March 2016

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" - Albert Einstein

Todays digital immersion session has been based around the notion of increasing the development of critical thinking especially in the junior school. I find this to be a particularly challenging idea in my situation, the middle writing sample is of a year two in my class who was unable to write any legible word after almost two years at school. My priority for him and many others in his situation in our class is to concentrate fully on the basics to establish a strong base of basic reading and writing before we start to engage them in critical thinking.  However during todays session I realised critical thinking for these learners doesn't have to be a full deep analysis of a world issue. It could be as simple as a discussion focused around The Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. Asking stimulating questions such as: "What was the wolf meant to eat if he shouldn't eat the pigs?" "Do you think it is possible for a wolf to blow a house down?" "Is it okay that the pigs boiled the wolf?" and engaging learners to explain their answers. Instead of simply getting students to recite facts from the book. We need to start early training learners minds to think, not answer facts. 

2 comments:

  1. I do like the way you have processed the reality of your class and the content from Friday. We do our struggling learners such a disservice if we presume they are unable to do something like thinking critically simply because they have not acquire Reading or Writing skills. I look forward to hearing about how you and Sally develop critical thinking with your youngsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy! I'll keep you informed on how it goes!

      Delete