A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 11 March 2016

“Education can be stifling, no question about it." - Sir Ken Robinson

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RZMgT0yRY1I/maxresdefault.jpg

This morning we took a quick adventure inside the mind of Sir Ken robinson. His ideas have been pushing boundaries in education for the past decade. I am especially interested in his theories surrounding the emphasis society places on math and literacies and the subjects such as dance and physical education get forgotten. We are still stuck in the mindset that learners need math, writing and reading to go to university so they are able to get a 'good job'. It's very easy to get caught teaching to the subjects that are tested heavily because that is what is researched and judged as successful teaching. However as a modern teacher I need to change my mind set to ensure that my education I am delivering to the learners is not stifling but opens up opportunities for students to be creative, display their passions and engage in a variety of exciting subjects at school. To do this I need to incorporate a range of subjects every day within my class not the standard daily meal of a main of math, reading and writing with a side of PE or the arts.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this intriguing too, I myself forget that literacy is not English, and numeracy is not Math - they are ways of learning. I think you'll find the current debate this week interesting... How NCEA literacy credits can be gained in PE alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This perspective is widely shared Julianna. I guess where we have stood out from the crowd in Manaiakalani is a relentless insistence that teachers recognise the place of creativity inside the 'core' subjects which are so highly valued. I look forward to seeing you bring your obvious strengths in this area across the curriculum and hooking your children into the excitement of lifelong learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Juliana, I like how you have focused your reflection of the 'create' element of 'learn-create-share' on Sir Ken Robinson and his theories. I didn't reflect on this aspect of last week's digital immersion, but instead focused on how I have been using 'create' with my learners. If you are interested, have a look at my blog post.

    ReplyDelete