A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 12 February 2016

"You can't motivate a student you don't know" - Ted Sizer




This quote of Ted Sizer pretty much directed the first couple of weeks of teaching us in our classroom. We got to know our students heritage, their family life, what they like to do, what they are good at, how they view themselves and so on. It seems like it takes a lot of time and that we are using 'valuable teaching time', but essentially I believe I can not fully cater to each of my students needs unless I understand each learner individually. I need to understand what kind of learning style works best, what kinds of activities engages them, how I can use technology to motivate them and how I can make the learning relevant to their lives. Now after those two weeks I feel like I am no longer teaching to a whole class but a mix of individual learners who each bring different strengths and challenges to our class.

No comments:

Post a Comment