A little about me...

Kia ora!
My name is Juliana Treadwell and I have the privilege of being a part of the MDTA 2016 crew! During my first year of this course I will be a part of an awesome year two/three class at Tamaki Primary School with my highly knowledgeable mentor Sally Barlow. I'm super pumped for this crazy adventure and through this blog I hope you can live and learn vicariously with me and enjoy the experience as much as I am!

Friday, 19 February 2016

New Mindset = New Results


Typically when I think of Excel or Spreadsheets I am transported back to high school computer labs and hours spent wasted inserting random data to create a graph about something I couldn't care less about, all I saw was the numbers and it meant nothing to me. However during todays digital immersion session I had to change my mindset so that I was able to get rid of those old thoughts and create new positive space for new potential. Google Sheets has so much potential for not only logging student achievement, but monitoring their learning, identifying strengths and weakness, facilitating their learning, as well as creating goals for where they are heading to next! Aside from the potential uses for students, it also has many innovative add ons that can make teachers lives so much easier and cut out time wasted on entering repetitive data which is ideal for all involved!

3 comments:

  1. I think I commented on your Google+ post the same thing, but its crazy how something we learn in high school that was so boring and mundane now has such application to our daily lives! Thanks for reminding us about having to change our mindset and be ready for new learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been constantly amazed by the uses teachers find for spreadsheets - often making them do things that I am sure they were never intended to do. I am pleased this session was not as dry or meaningless as your old skul ones :)
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is important we use these blogs as well as our own personal reflections to consider things like this. Forget what we have been taught, be open to new things and how they can be implemented effectively into our classrooms. I remember those boring spreadsheets too!

    ReplyDelete